Sunday, September 11, 2016

2A: Class Discussion 9-6-16




As we talked in class, I jotted things down that I wanted to address in my blog. Some of the following is either because the topic changed, I didn’t feel like sharing at the time, or we ran out of time.
So I thought it was interesting that UM-Ann Arbor librarians aren’t considered faculty, but staff. I mentioned this to some of my coworkers during our daily morning meeting. At Flint, they are considered faculty, but there are two different types of faculty. Apparently, back in the day, at Flint they had to fight to be considered faculty.  Two of the newest librarians are currently having trouble with getting emails addressed to faculty. One we found out was listed as staff, but she’s an actual librarian. I never knew the question of librarian as faculty vs. staff was a hot debate in the library world.
At one point in class we were talking about reference desk furniture. At the UM-Flint library, we recently downsized and moved the reference desk. The desk is like what the professor described other desks as being; the space where the librarian sits to where the patron sits is really wide. A lot of the desk space was unused. It was pretty much cut it in half (which is a shame because they got rid of the other half and then just recently decided that they want to completely get rid of the circulation desk, and have a circulation supervisor sit next to the reference librarian in two-hour shifts).
The new location for the reference desk has resulted in a vast improvement in customer service. When you enter the library, the circulation desk is located on your left. The reference desk used to be beyond that if you kept walking. As a result, people would either ask for reference help at the circulation desk, or would end up wandering around for a while before they asked us at the circulation desk or at reference. I don’t know if it was that we are intimidating at the circulation desk, the desk is way higher than the reference desk, or if the reference desk was too far away. This spring we moved the reference desk to the other side of the circulation desk, along with a complete rearranging of a whole bunch of other furniture. Now the reference desk is on the right side when you enter the library. Patrons now walk in and immediately stop there to talk to the reference librarian. Reference is now getting more inquiries that circulation handles than ever before. I think a part of it is that the desk is so much lower than circulation, so it’s more approachable. I could post before/after pictures; if I figure out how to.
In class, we also talked about how the name of the reference desk can be different and yet it still doesn’t explain its function. I just recently went into a public library to look for the “Conducting a Reference Interview” book (unfortunately it doesn’t circulate; it figures). The first desk upon entering the library is titled “Information”. I went up to the desk and asked where I could find the book since I had the call # written down. I was directed to a spot, but it wasn’t where the lady said it would be. I haven’t worked with the Dewey Decimal system in a decade, but I’m pretty sure the section was all messed up. So I was going to go back to “Information” and ask if the lady could help me find it, but she had another patron she was helping. I also didn’t know if “Information” would be able to look up the information on the book because I saw “Reference” in another section of the library. So I went up to “Reference” and asked the lady there if she could look up the book, which she did. Upon leaving the library, I was contemplating the difference between the “Information” and “Reference” desks. To me, that means the same thing and would serve the same function. I should have inquired about it.
Something I thought that can be done to explain this problem of not necessarily knowing what a desk does is to provide a list of what services the desk provides. We recently put a sign on the backs of the computers at the circulation desk listing what else patrons can check out besides books (calculators, external dvd players, laptops, etc.). A lot of patrons have been exclaiming over the list because they had no idea we had laptops and calculators available for check out.
Ever since reading “Zingerman’s Guide to Giving Great Service”, I have found myself constantly analyzing customer service everywhere I go. I did it somewhat at places if I had any problems or if service was beyond excellent somewhere, but never to the degree I have now. I have also been telling the new students I have been training about it, quoting from it occasionally. One thing that has stuck with me is when the author said he would buy a staff lunch if they got a complaint that the staff member was too enthusiastic (page 45). I told some of the students this and further elaborated that you can never be too friendly or smile enough.
I think the book is very valuable for anyone who has to perform customer service. At libraries, we may not sell items, but we are still performing a service so the book does apply to libraries, not just retail or food businesses. Libraries may not be selling items for monetary gain, but they still need patronage. Our customer service at my library wasn’t great back in the day. People didn’t like coming to work and patrons didn’t like coming into the library. My sister said she hated going into my library 20 years ago, way before anybody I know ever worked there. I do wish that the author had developed further that you need to perform customer service within the workplace and with each other (pages 68-72). We all need to help one another out and if one is not polite and friendly to their coworker, someone isn’t going to want to help them. If one isn’t willing to help a coworker, then that will affect the actual patrons, because what we do in the end benefits the patrons and is all about service to the patrons. But the book doesn’t address that bad customer service with each other results in bad service to the patron. I have seen and experienced this first hand.
I believe that libraries should adopt Zingerman’s going the extra mile philosophy. Going the extra mile most often doesn’t hurt anybody or any policy. Doing it actually makes people happy and many patrons over the years have told me that it made their day (even though what I did in my opinion was nothing of import at all). Going the extra mile fosters positive relationships with patrons and the library. It makes them want to come back and they will spread the word to other people about how great the library and its workers are.



3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The question of whether academic librarians should be considered faculty or staff is an interesting one, and one I admit not to having thought much about prior to last week's meeting of our class. I would be interested in hearing more about your, your colleagues, and Shevon's perspectives on the functional pros and cons of faculty status for librarians beyond the symbolic and identity inclusion elements of such status. How would it change the daily work lives of librarians? What kind of rights, duties, responsibilities and expectations would it confer on them?

    ReplyDelete
  3. In regards to customer service, I have found that people appreciate having someone "go the extra mile" even if you end up not really helping them all that much. I remember one time when I was working in the Carleton library this woman from out of town came to do genealogy research and she asked for assistance with printing some web pages. It turns out she also needed help with doing database searches on top of dealing with an overtly complicated printing issue. I personally felt like I could have done more to make the process a lot smoother, but she was very thankful that I took time away from my other duties to help her for around fifteen minutes. It's those moments where you realize that providing good service is more about the attitude and dedication you bring to it rather than your knowledge or efficiency.

    ReplyDelete